Monday, December 4, 2017

Your favorite hymn?

What is your favorite hymn or song? Is there a psalm, hymn or spiritual song that cheers and blesses you every time you hear its melody or sing its words?

Of modern songs I am blessed every time I hear the Stuart Townend/Keith Getty song, "In Christ Alone."  And with some help from his friends, Matt Maher wrote and and recorded, "Abide With Me." The former is a statement of faith; the later a cry for the presence of God.  Both, in my humble opinion (doesn't count for much) are masterpieces.

My all-time favorite hymn is 'My Hope Is Built On Nothing Less."

My hope is built on nothing less
 Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
No merit of my own I claim
 But wholly lean on Jesus' name
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand
 All other ground is sinking sand  (LSB 575)

My devotional reading over the past few weeks has taken me once again through the Psalms.  I often read each one as if I'm a miner looking for a gem or two that I've missed before.  I had that experience recently as I reread Psalm 13:6 - I will sing to the Lord, for He has been good to me.

At the beginning of this new work week why not follow the lead of the psalmist and sing to the Lord? His goodness to you is all the reason you need.

God is:

Your shelter - see Exodus 33:22
Your keeper - see Psalm 121:4
Your helper - see 1 Peter 5:7

Include your favorite hymn or song in your devotion time this week.  Sing the song or hum its melody as you travel around town.  Ask your spouse, kids or friends about their favorite hymn. Share why your special hymn or song is so meaningful to you.  Someone said, "The one who sings prays twice!" (Was that Luther?)  Go ahead - sing to the Lord! He has been good to you!