Saturday, November 16, 2019

The power of the story

This photo reminds me of the enjoyable evening Sherri and I had yesterday.  We were invited by Ron and Kathy Taylor for a hot dog roast around the fire.  Also there were Ron and Kathy's daughter and son-in-law, Annie and Tyler, and choir member, Marge Weigand and drummer extraordinaire, Dan Seabreeze.

The evening was cool so the fire felt just right.  I hadn't cooked a hot dog over an open fire in years.  It was fun getting the dog cooked just right.  Along with the meal we had hot chocolate, apple cider and made smores.  We couldn't have asked for a better or fun time.

As we sat around the fire Ron said, "Anyone have a campfire story - not a ghost story but a campfire story."  Mostly we talked about life experiences and I really enjoyed it because it gave me a chance to know everyone a little better.  I drove home feeling like God had given me a blessing - the blessing of time and friendship.

Our time with the Taylors reminded me of something I'd read a long time ago.  I didn't note where I found the quote but I think it's a proverb worth pondering:

Tell me a fact and I'll learn
 Tell me a truth and I'll believe
  But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

Think about the stories in the Bible and how they have impacted and changed our lives.  We learn about the forgiving and unconditional love of God the Father in the Parable of the Prodigal Son.  We see how relentless Jesus is in searching for the lost in the Parable of the Lost Sheep.  We are reminded to be constantly watching for the return of Jesus in glory in the Parable of the Fig Tree.

You want Jesus stories? Spend some time in Matthew, chapter 13 or Luke, chapter 15.  These stories teach us how to live out our new life in Christ now while giving us glimpses of what the coming Kingdom of God will be like.

Jesus stories - they teach, they thrill, they comfort - told by the Master Storyteller Himself, our Lord Jesus.

Stories well suited for sharing around a campfire.