Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Jesus calls us His friends

I have been watching the sitcom, "Friends," lately.  There is much I don't like about the program (and I don't have time to go into that now).  But I do appreciate that the six of them stuck together and supported one another through tough times.

I still remember a sermon from seminary professor, Glenn Nielsen.  He referenced John 15:15 and pointed out something so profound that I had missed it every time I read that chapter.  Jesus calls us friends!  We think of Jesus is a variety of different ways - Savior, Redeemer, Teacher, Bread of Life, Prince of Peace, Immanuel.  But have you ever thought of Jesus as a friend?

We sing it, don't we? "What a Friend We Have In Jesus,"all our sins and grief to bear..."  What do we often do when we're troubled or need advice? We turn to a good friend.  We have no better friend than Jesus.  "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for a friend."  This is agape love, unconditional love.  You can't be loved any more by Jesus than the love He has for you right now.

Today, be a friend to someone.  The person who is grieving a loved one, who is troubled over a broken relationship, who is suffering because of a health diagnosis.  Jesus says, "Love each other as I have loved you."  Let that be your mission today!