Sunday, October 4, 2020

Church Newsletter Editors Strike!


 

Here’s THE NEWS YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED!

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI – In an unprecedented demonstration of unity, hundreds of church newsletter editors across the country have gone on strike.

This massive group is not looking for increased pay or better working hours or even an upgrade from Windows 98.  They are asking for respect.

Mrs. Jane Roberts, newsletter editor for the “I Am Second” Missionary Baptist Church in Peavey, MO. described the hurt she felt at a recent voters meeting.  “Our church is considering purchasing new chairs for our sanctuary/basketball court.  One of the members suggested that the newsletter be used to communicate the reason for acquiring the new chairs.”  Then, as Mrs. Roberts wiped a tear from her eye, she recounted, “The head of the Leadership Council stood up, laughed out loud, and exclaimed, ‘Nobody reads the newsletter!’”  When asked how she responded, Mrs. Roberts said, “I wanted to take a newsletter and hit him over the head with it!  Those 16 pages could leave a bruise!  But because I’m a woman and a Christian and the proud owner of Joel Osteen’s “Inspiration Cube,” I let it pass.

Mr. Gerald Larson, newsletter editor & trustee of FSHS Lutheran Church located in historic downtown Knob Noster, MO, told of an incident with the Fellowship Committee.  “Lois came into my office and asked me why we had not published the upcoming “Wine and Whine” event where the pastor is invited to spend a pleasant evening in the home with some women and men in the church.”  Larson continued, “With all the patience I could muster, I held up the newsletter’s front page which announced in bold type, “It’s Time to Wine and Whine!”  Larson then raged, “Did I get an apology?  Did I hear an ‘I’m sorry?’  I wanted to ask God, “What’s up with Your people anyway?”

Embolden by the action of the newsletter editors, Sunday school teachers who were told, “We only need you for a few weeks,” are ready to walk out as well.