Wednesday, July 7, 2021

The Red Sea Moments of Life

My dear, sweet wife follows "The Chosen" video series on Facebook.  If you've not watched, "The 
Chosen" retells the life of Jesus in a most captivating way.  There is no studio financing the series.  Average Joes and Joans, like you and me, have sent contributions to make this happen.  If you haven't watched a segment yet, please do so.  Given the garbage that is on the networks and streaming services, "The Chosen" is worthy of support.

Below is a post from the creator of the series.  Sherri was taken with the notion that life is made up of "Red Sea moments."  See what you think:

In this moment, I'm devastated.

This picture was taken by Shahar Isaar, who plays Simon Peter, during a day of filming some of Episode 7, which played last night. He's standing on the shore of our "Sea of Galilee" lake. I'm in the water with our on-set dresser, the incomparable Allen.

We're several hours into the day, and we haven't filmed a single frame. We, the entire cast and crew, are doing the absolute worst thing you can do on a film set where time costs lots and lots of money: nothing.

We can't film because there's too much fog. It doesn't match what we filmed the day before, and we can't see 20 yards out. What's worse? The radar is telling us this isn't going away today.

There's nothing I can do, which is very hard for me. I've done my part, and now it's out of my control, and I simply have to wait.

A picture can say a thousand words. In this case, to me, this picture says three words: Red. Sea. Moment.

In Exodus 14, the Israelites are escaping from the Egyptians, and Pharaoh's army is chasing them. Moses and the Israelites get stuck at the edge of the Red Sea, and there's no escape.

You know what happens next. A miracle. God parts the sea, the Israelites pass through, and then God returns it to normal as the Egyptians are in it, and they all drown. God told Moses he did it to show he is the Lord.

My wife Amanda has used this phrase for The Chosen a few times. When we're up against it, to the point where we're powerless and can't do anything, she calls it a "Red Sea moment." She's told me, "God's just getting you to the edge of the Red Sea so when the waters part, you know it's Him."

It's happened over and over, and yet I still struggle to be content in that moment before the waters part.

In this case, it happened at the last possible second.

With four hours left in the day, WAY too late for us to get all the scenes in before the sun went down, and the radar saying the fog wasn't lifting, we called it. Crew got in their cars, we started to push the boat to the dock, and we tabled discussions on when, if ever, we could shoot these scenes.

And then, as crew members still on the shore described it, "A gust of wind came and cleared the fog in less than five minutes." I was in a trailer at the time, and as I walked out, I said, "Is that the other side of the lake? I can see the other side of the lake."

Suddenly the entire cast and crew rushed to the shore, we unpacked all the gear again, and we decided to just shoot what we could and hopefully get at least one scene in.

But because of the overcast sky, the sun reflected off the clouds as it descended, which lengthened the daylight.

We kept shooting and shooting, and we ended up getting every shot and every angle we wanted for every scene we'd scheduled. What would have normally taken 12 hours took less than four. The scenes turned out great in Episode 7. I still don't know how it was possible.

Because it wasn't, really. It's not possible for me to part the Red Sea.

So that's why this picture means so much to me. My posture indicates that I didn't know it, but I was at the edge of the Red Sea...and that's a really awesome place to be.