Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dinner and a Concert at the Palace

Here we are awaiting the beginning of a concert in the Great Hall of the Schonbrunn Palace.  The palace was built in the early 18th century by Emperor Leopold I for his son, Josef I.  The intent was to create a place every bit as magnificent as Versailles.  Schonbrunn is truly breathtaking.  Sherri and I had toured the palace as part of a bus tour through Vienna.  But we had acquired tickets for a dinner and concert as well.  We arrived in the middle of the afternoon and walked through the Imperial Gardens.  Dinner was delicious and featured Josef's favorite meal - boiled beef.  I didn't think I would like it.  I did!  Normally, the concert is conducted in the garden so it was a real treat to be seated in the Great Hall.  The concert featured music from Mozart, Hayden and Strauss.  The conductor and orchestra played with great, great joy - everyone looked like they were having a wonderful time.  Although the orchestra played for almost two hours, I could have listened to them all night.  Our dinner and concert as the palace made our time in Vienna very memorable.