Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Somebody did it for me!

Bodie Thoene, a best-selling writer of Christian fiction, once worked as a script writer for "The Duke," John Wayne.  In "Today's Christian Woman" magazine she explained how the opportunity came about.

By the time I was 19, I was commuting to Los Angeles and doing feature articles on different stunt men and other film personalities for magazines.  Four years later, an article I co-wrote with John Wayne's stuntman won the attention of the Duke himself.  One day he called and invited my husband, Brock, and me to come to his house.  He talked to us as if we were friends, showing keen interest in us as individuals.  From that day on, I began writing for his film company.  Brock helped me with the historical research.

We were awestruck.  Here was this man who had been in film for 50 years and he takes a young couple with small children under his wing! Once I asked him, "Why are you doing this? You are so good to us!"

John Wayne replied, "Because somebody did it for me."

Interesting, isn't it, that the famous actor didn't take credit for extending a kindness to another person? His motivation, instead, came from a kindness that had been shown to him at another time and occasion.

So it is with the love that we give to others.  We cannot take credit for demonstrating love to family, friends and church family.  We love because we were first loved by God (1 John 4:19).  Indeed, we wouldn't even know what love looks like except that we have seen the love of God in His Son, Christ Jesus.  Touched by the sacrificial love of the Savior, we want to reach out and love our family members and good friends, our brothers and sisters in Christ, and people with whom we've had little or no contact.

Who is your world needs a touch of God's love today?