Wednesday, May 5, 2021

6 Weeks Post Surgery - What's Next?

What's next, I hope, I a round of golf!

Six weeks ago I underwent back surgery.  And the surgery was a success.  Pain that I had been living with was gone.  I can now stand easily and walk freely and generally feel a whole lot better.  A couple of folks tell me that they think I've grown two inches! I guess I didn't realize how stooped over I had been.

My rehab has consisted of walking - nothing more and nothing less.  I walk a mile or more in the morning with my dear sweet wife and our dog.  And most evenings the dog and I do another mile or so.  I want to increase the distance as I go along but have been warned "not to push it!" So, I won't.

The picture above was taken at Torrey Pines Golf Club outside San Diego.  That's the ocean behind me.  The view from the tee box was beautiful.  The tee shot was not.  Somehow, I found myself back in the fairway and am in the middle of hitting my approach shot to the green.  How did I do? I don't remember.  There were so many approach shots!

So, this Saturday, I'm going to the driving range and swing the clubs a few times.  Nice, easy swings.  Just to see if I remember how to do this.  At my age, golf is just about the only outdoor sport I can still play (yes, I know, there are some who refuse to believe that golf is a sport).  Hopefully, I will be able to get out of bed for church the next morning.

Leading up to surgery I've had more than one person ask, "Do you know how to avoid a second back surgery? Don't have the first back surgery!" But I feel very blessed by God.  The surgery went well.  I was relieved of the pain.  I feel hopeful that when retirement comes I'll be able to travel and pursue some of the things on my retirement to-do list.  One goal - eliminate so many of those approach shots!