Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Blessed Reformation Day


There I am with the great man himself.  In the Wittenberg City Square there stands a statue of Martin Luther.  In 2011 I received a renewal grant from the Lilly Foundation.  It enabled us to spend six weeks in Europe including a stay of a few days in Wittenberg.

A couple of weeks ago I learned that I will be one of the pastors to serve the Wittenberg English Mission next year.  WEM offers three devotional services per week and a Divine service on Saturday.  Wittenberg is a tourist attractions and people from all over the world visit.  Since English is the universal language these services are held for those who want to hear the Gospel that freed Luther from the shackles of sin and death and to sing "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God."  This is truly a dream come true for me.

It was two years ago today that I retired from full-time ministry.  For the first six months or so I did very little but rest.  I was really tired.  Ministry is hard work.  Then I was asked to preach a couple of times a months at Christ the Redeemer church in Phoenix.  In a short time I came to really appreciate the people and I think they felt the same way about me.  When I returned from Michigan we mutually agreed that I would serve them each Sunday through next April.  

Some told me that I failed at retirement.  That might be true.  But what could be better than be able to proclaim the love of Jesus to His people.  Plus I don't have to attend a single meeting!  Nothing could be better!