Monday, March 18, 2024

Coming Down With March Madness


 I feel a bad case of March Madness coming on.

All season long I've been following Grand Canyon University's basketball team.  The Antelopes won 29 games this year, won the WAC conference and tournament and were selected yesterday to be a 12th seed in the West bracket.

When I heard the announcement I was sky high...I imagined GCU beating their first round opponent, St. Mary, with ease.  Next, they toppled Alabama which sent the Havocs', GCU crazy student, cheering section into mass hysteria.  Those kids really pounded the Mountain Dew and emptied bag after bag of Doritos in celebration (it's a Christian university).

I could see it all...the Sweet 16, the elite 8, the final 4.  The Antelopes victorious in every game.  And just as GCU was tipping off for the National Championship... I fell back to reality.

And the reality is that GCU is probably facing a hill that they can't possibly climb to the top.

But they are well coached by Bryce Drew and have a potential NBA forward in Tyon Grant-Foster.  They play tough defense and don't seem to panic when they get off to a slow start.

My heart says GCU has a chance to make a run in the tournament.  My head says they lose in the first round.

Who knows? That's why they play the games, right?

Go Antelopes!