Friday, September 11, 2026

"The Country is Under Attack"

On September 10, 2001, I flew from Hilton Head Island, SC to Washington DC to attend the New Pastors Orientation with the Southeastern District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.  As we flew in to Reagan International Airport I was surprised how near the airport was to the Pentagon Building.  It was almost that I could reach out and touch it.

That afternoon we heard a series of presentations and enjoyed a nice dinner.  I met with a classmate and we had a enjoyable time together, sharing stories about Seminary life while we watched Monday Night Football. I slept well that night.

The next morning we met in the basement of the LCMS church in Alexandria, Va.  We were not very far into the first presentation when the secretary of the church descended the steps into the basement.  She was wiping tears from her eyes.  She was choked up as she said, "The country is under attack."

We went upstairs to the reception area.  A small television was on, the rabbit ears not providing a very clear picture.  As looked on we then learned that a plane had flown into the Pentagon, the building I thought I could reach out and touch.  It was hard to take it all in.

We went downstairs to pray and while we were gathered an Air Force pilot joined us.  She reported that there was a fourth plane that had been hijacked and was headed back to DC.  She related that the Air Force had been ordered to take the plane down if it was clear that the plane was headed toward the Capital. She asked for prayers for the pilots and the civilians on the plane.  That flight later crashed in Shanksville Penn.

As I gathered my things the church secretary came to me and said, "George, we need to find another way for you to get home.  All airports have been closed."  Fortunately, my classmate told me he could drive me to Raleigh-Durham airport and see if I could rent a car to get the rest of the way home.  And he said if we couldn't find a car he would drive me the rest of the way home.

As we drove out of Alexandra we were amazed at the number of American Flags hanging from overpasses.  People stood on the side of the road waving the Flag.  It was wonderful to see the patriotism.

We got to Raleigh-Durham and went to the Hertz desk.  No cars.  Then we drove over to the Avis lot.  They had two cars left and they gave me one.  No charge, just the promise that I would deliver it to the Hilton Head Island airport.

I kept the radio on as I drove home.  In those early hours there was very little information available.  President Bush promised that the perpetuators would be hunted down and destroyed.

I crawled into bed around 3 am.  I hugged my dear, sweet wife hard.  We gave thanks to God for His protection and asked that He comfort the families who lost loved ones and heal those who had suffered injuries.

That evening about 150 members of Congress gathered together to sing "God Bless America."  And that was our prayer in the days, weeks, months and years to come.

But I am saddened that there are those, who live both outside but inside America who celebrate this day.  One evil influencer says that America deserved 9/11.  There are pockets of people in our Country who cry out "Death to America."  What has happened to us? Why are those who enjoy life in America wish to destroy the freedoms we enjoy?

It moves me to sing with all the lung power I can muster, "God bless our native land; Firm may she very stand through storm and night.  When the wild tempests rave, Ruler of wind and wave, Do now our country save, By Thy great might."

Lord, have mercy.