Friday, April 27, 2012

A word to parents

As parents and grandparents we should never underestimate the influence we have upon our children and grandchildren.  They watch us carefully.  Our words soak deeply into their heads and hearts.  Studies indicate that even our teens watch and listen to us, yes, even when it seems that they have tuned us out.  Our example matters!

I don't know who penned the poetry below but the message is one worth pondering:

To hear my child at prayer, what a thrill it is to me!
There's a sweetness in the moment, as he speaks on bended knee.
And yet my heart is smitten, at this touching moment I see,
Has his faith and trust in prayer, depended much on me?

As I see him fold his hands, and bow his head to pray,
I trust he'll always love the Lord, the way he does today.
Then I hear a voice within me, speak in solemn words and true,
How he lives a life of prayer, depends a lot on you.

So I kneel next to my bed, and lay my hand upon him,
After he has voiced his prayer, I add my own petition
May my son recall one day, that his father daily raised,
His voice to thank the Lord, and make the sacrifice of praise!

Dads and Moms, do you think much about the example you are setting for your kids? Do they see you in prayer? Do they find you reading your Bible? The next time you are tempted to "veg out" in from of the TV, try something different.  Gather the kids together and tell stories.  Talk about a favorite family vacation.  Share the funny story you heard.  Read Bible stories to your kids.  Tell them what Jesus means to you.  Share your faith in God and encourage your kids in their walk of faith.  Most of all, ask the Lord to fill you with His Spirit and His love so that you might always be that Godly example that your kids and grandkids need to see.