Monday, October 29, 2012

Have you 'appreciated' your pastor?

October is Pastor Appreciation Month.  If you haven't "appreciated" your pastor yet, please do so.  Quickly.  Today.  Like right now.

Here's why:

Most pastors work really hard.  They often forgo doing things with family and friends so they can serve the flock.  Most folks aren't aware of this.

Because pastors work really hard, they tend to keep crazy schedules.  Most folks only see the pastor at work on Sunday.  The majority of people are simply not aware of what the pastor does during the week.  During the week is when the preparation for Sunday takes place.  During the week is when much of the ministry happens.  People get sick.  People are in crisis.  People die.  This is not an 8 to 5 job with Saturday and Sunday off.  Most pastors I know work 55-60 hours a week.  Throw in a funeral or wedding or Advent or Lenten services on top of everything else and the hours soar.  This is not a recipe for good mental, emotional or physical health.

Because pastors keep such crazy schedules, they often wear out.  Or burn out.  Most pastors I know really give themselves to the Lord and to their congregations.  The demands made on them are great and since most pastors don't want to let anyone down, they push and push and push some more.  The human body wasn't designed to keep up that pace forever.  What happens when a person has a tired mind and a tired body? Illness.  Depression.  Guilt.  Some pastors lose their effectiveness.  Others leave the ministry.  The congregation weeps.  The devil celebrates.

What can fill up a pastor's emotional gas tank? Knowing that he has the congregation's appreciation and support.  A few years ago I was going through a very difficult time.  As I sat at my desk going through some email, I opened one that said simply, "I've got your back."  I can't describe very well what that message meant to me.  For a moment my heavy heart felt as light as a feather.  The heavy burden I carried on my shoulders and into my office had been lifted. 

Even more filling is the Word of God.  The Lord's reassurance provides comfort and consolation for weary or wounded pastors:

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame will not consume you.

For I am the Lord your God...  (Isaiah 43:1b-3a)

Ministry is hard.  What a blessing for a pastor to know that "God has your back!"  And what a blessing it is when the pastor knows that in spite of his weaknesses, the congregation still "has his back."

'Appreciate' your pastor today!