Monday, November 19, 2012

Welcome to our world, Emily Faith!

Dear Emily,
Once I was able to snuggle you up in my arms yesterday, I just could not put you down.  You are so precious and beautiful.  You were a long time in coming, but - Praise the Lord - you finally came! You have given to your mother and father and your entire family an indescribable joy.

Welcome to our world.

But this world today is not a happy one.

Everything Jesus said is coming to pass.  Wars and rumours of wars.  Pain and suffering all over the world.  We are taught that all these things will happen before Jesus comes again. Amen, come Lord Jesus!

In the meantime, I'm glad to know that you have such great parents.  They will love you and care for you and do everything within their power to give you the very best life possible.

They are people of faith and so I'm glad that you will hear the love of Jesus on their lips and see the love of Jesus in what they say and do.  No, they are not perfect.  They will mess up just like all parents do.  But I have every confidence that you'll receive the best they have to offer.

I'm praising God today for the gift of life.  I praise God for the life He has given to you.  And soon, you will receive God's gift of new life in Christ Jesus when you come to our baptismal font at church.  You will receive the washing of water with the Word.  God will put His sign on you - the sign of the cross - which marks you as one of His very own children.  I'll probably weep - I always seem to do so whenever a baptism takes place at our church.  The power of God is very overwhelming.

This is the first but not the last word you'll hear from me.  I look forward to holding you more...baptizing you...having you sit in my lap during the children's message...looking at all the papers you have to show me from Sunday school...and on and on it will go.

May God keep on watching you with His eyes of love and compassion.

Your Papa