Monday, July 29, 2013

Back in the saddle again!

Or I will be tomorrow!

My dear, sweet wife and I are wrapping up three weeks of vacation today.  Tomorrow I return to the work that the Lord has given me to do at Life in Christ.  I'm rested and refreshed and looking forward to being among the flock that I get to shepherd.

While flying out on a previous vacation trip, Sherri and I decided to pass the time by doing a crossword puzzle.  We came upon this: a four letter word for vacation.

Sherri spelled: p l a y.

I spelled: r e s t.

You might gather then that vacations can cause conflict between us, right?

What we attempt to do is to mix ample doses of play and rest together so that we both enjoy our time away.

We started out in northwest California, staying in a beach community about 20 minutes south of San Francisco.  We spent several days in the city.  We traveled on a boat to Alcatraz (it really is a rock!).  We spent a day at Muir Woods and marveled at God's creative beauty.  We did the same on a day trip to Napa Valley (and enjoyed a delightful morning at Francis Ford Coppola's winery). And we enjoyed a visit to Carmel and Monterey.

From there we moved on to LaJolla and caught up with our youngest daughter and her family.  Her husband and I played golf one beautiful day (my golf game, however, was ugly!) and we spent a day at the beach on Coronado Island.  We came home, washed our clothes and drove with my son and his family to Greer, Arizona, in the White Mountains.  We did lots of hiking and took plenty of afternoon naps to the sound of rain on the roof.

This past weekend we babysat my youngest granddaughter while her Mom and Dad went to Nashville to attend the wedding of a friend.  Sherri and I had a great time caring for Emily, with her beautiful dark eyes and her long, dark hair ( I am a bit jealous of the hair!).

I wouldn't have been able to be gone for such a long time were it not for the great staff we have at LICL.  Because of Pastor Pope's illness, Pastor Darling had to carry a very heavy load and he did it all.  The office staff kept everything humming and our lay leaders did their part as well.  I'm so blessed!

Sherri and I thank the Lord for the time we have to get away.  We love to travel and God has blessed with us many opportunities to visit many parts of the US and the world.  As we travel together, our love and appreciation for one another grows and grows.  I know that my dear, sweet wife is a rich blessing and gift to me from the Lord.  May God continue bless her with good health, keep her from harm and danger, give her success in her work as a professor in the Nursing College at Grand Canyon University, and fill her heart with love and thanksgiving for her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!