Tuesday, May 14, 2019

What walking does for you

I could not believe the number.  But there it was, in black and white.  The bathroom scale does not lie.  It confirmed what I had suspected.  I weighed more than I ever had in my life.

When I played high school basketball, I measured 6'2" and weighed 160 pounds.  If I stood sideways, you couldn't see me.  At that time I wished that I could put on some weight.  Now, I found myself wondering how I was going to get some weight off!

So, late last summer, I began walking.  Every day.  One to three miles.  I also changed my diet.  Started counting calories.  It wasn't as hard as I thought.  And then, a wonderful thing happened - I began to lose weight.

I set a goal of losing 20 pounds.  In eight months, I've actually lost 23 pounds.  Not a drastic loss. But I feel better and I look better.

Now, I do my walking with our dog, Jake.  He leads me on one to three mile walks.  We're both pretty tired when finished.  But its a "good kind of tired" if you know what I mean.

While looking at one of my journals this morning, I found something that I must have copied out of a magazine.  Can't tell you where it came from or when it was written.  But the comments about walking and exercise are pretty funny.  So, without any further ado...

I joined a health club last year; spent about 400 bucks.  Haven't lost a pound.  Apparently, you have to go there.

Walking can add minutes to your life.  This enables you at 85 years old to spend an additional five months in a care facility at an extra $5000 per month.

The advantage of exercising every day is so when you die, they'll say, "Well, she looks good, doesn't she?"

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me.

Have a blessed day.  You might even include a walk.  It beats binge-watching Game of
Thrones.  Let me tell you how the show ends...

Nah!