Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Ten Really Weird Things Said to Pastors

 I was surprised when I asked Pastors on Twitter to share some of the more unusual comments they received. The response was huge. I've narrowed it down to the following. The parenthetical words after each comment represent my off-the-cuff commentary.


  • "You need to change your voice." (Yes ma'am. I'll try to have that done by next week.)
  • "Your socks are distracting." (I understand. I'll stop wearing socks.)
  • "We need to start attracting more normal people at church." ((So, you will be leaving the church, I presume?")
  • "I developed cancer because you don't preach from the KJV." (Major medical announcement! New carcinogen discovered!)
  • "Your wife never complements me about my hair or dress." (There could be a reason for that.)
  • "If Jesus sang from the red hymnals, why can't we?" (I think you are mistaken. He sang from the blue hymnals.)
  • "The toilet paper is on the wrong way in the ladies restroom. It's rolled under." (My guess is that it is still functional.)
  • "Why don't you ever preach on Tim Tebow?" (Be patient. I will be preaching a six-week expository series on him in the fall."
  • "You don't look at our side of the sanctuary enough when you preacher.(That's because you are on that side.)
  • "You don't have ashtrays in the fellowship hall." (Yes we do. They are right next to the spittoons for your chewing tobacco.)

From Don Ginkel's "Church Press Newsletter," May 2021 - reprint of a posting by Thom Rainer