Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Reading List for 2021


42 - that's the number of book I read last year.  Given that I didn't retire until last October, I think that's a pretty good effort.

I read the Jeanette Oke, "When Calls the Heart" series of four books.  The setting is the Canadian northwest, rough and rugged.  A school teacher named Elizabeth marries a Mountie and lives a life that is hard but full of adventure.  Oke is a Christian and brought some good theology into some of the challenges that Elizabeth faced.  I highly recommend the series.

I also reread Katie Schuermann's "Anthems of Zion," series.  The setting is a small community in the mid-west.  Schuermann's books have been compared to Jan Karon's series; you'll find plenty of colorful characters that you'll learn to love quickly.  I appreciated how Schuermann described life in the parish and the challenges the pastor faces.  You can get these books from Concordia Publishing House.  It would be worth the investment.

For laughs, I read two Dave Berry books, "Live Right and Find Happiness," and "Lessons from Lucy," the latter is about some of the life lessons Berry learned by observing his dog.  I've been watching my dog, Jake, to see what I might learn from him.  Lesson one - take lots of naps.

Two John Gresham books landed on my bookshelf.  "Soolie," has nothing to do with the law and "A Time for Mercy," which had everything to do with the law.  If you like Gresham, you'll want to read these two books.

My reading habit is to have two or three books going at once.  I read one for a while and when I'm tired of it or want a change of pace I read something else.  Now that I'm retired I'm thinking that I should polish off even more books this year.  But I've got several things going that will take up my time and attention so I may not read as many as last year.  But one thing is certain - I will always have a book to read.  I hope you find some enjoyable books to read as well.