Tuesday, April 26, 2022

The Lord is your helper!

 

Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. Psalm 54;4

            A famous author keeps a special picture in his office.  It shows a turtle setting atop a fence.  The caption at the bottom of the photo reads: If you see a turtle on a fence post, you know he had some help! 

            I doubt that the Psalmist David ever pictured himself as a turtle.  But he counted on and depended upon the help that he received from the Lord God.  Again and again, David sought the Lord’s help.

            Psalm 27:9 – Do not hide Your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; You have been my helper.

            Psalm 28:7 – The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.

            Psalm 30:2 – O Lord my God, I called to You for help and you healed me.

            Psalm 33:20 – We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and our shield.

            Psalm 40:17 – You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay.

            As you can tell from these verses, what the Lord offers to David (and to you and me) is much more than just “a helping hand.”  The Lord comes to our aid…gives protection…listens with understanding…heals our hurts…pours out compassion and love.  Throughout the first third of the book of Psalms, David again and again draws near to His Lord for help.

            Where do you need God’s help this week?  In dealing with discouragement…helping a troubled friend…learning to love an unlovable co-worker…looking ahead to the future with faith?  Follow David’s example – look to your Savior God for He is your helper!