Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Have alb, will travel

Have alb, will travel.  Each summer we spend in Michigan I make myself available to do pulpit supply.  Last year I preached a couple of times for a pastor friend in Grand Rapids.  But this summer I was invited to preach 13 times with 10 of them at Trinity Lutheran in Paw Paw Michigan.

I don't know what the membership of the church is but they worship anywhere from 120 to 140 per Sunday.  That puts them in the top 25 percent of churches worshipping 100 or more people in the LCMS.  Also, while it is a congregation of mostly older believers there are a number of working parents with children to attend each Sunday.  The congregation also offers a school - preschool through 8th grade.

The church offers two services - 9 am is their contemporary worship and at 11 am is the traditional service.  Bible class and Sunday school are held in between the two services.  Also two deaf members attend the early service.  Since my former congregation had an active ministry to the deaf I was able to relate to this husband and wife,  They were a delight.  I brushed up on a few phrases like "peace be with you," Jesus loves you," and "This is the day the Lord has made."

The congregation is currently without a pastor.  Last year an intentional interim pastor came and helped the congregation sort through some challenges.  Since then they have issued and had returned two calls.  They hope to send a call to a third pastor next month and if it is returned they were work through the process of having a graduate assigned to them.

The people there were so warm and friendly to Sherri and I.  They were grateful for the ministry I was able to offer them and many urged us to join them again next summer, whether it be to provide pulpit supply (hopefully not) or to worship with them and a new pastor (yes!).

It's hard for a congregation to carry out ministry without a pastor leading the way.  Join me in praying that the Lord, at just the right time, will send just the right pastor to serve this congregation by proclaiming the Gospel, administrating the sacraments and offering pastoral care and comfort.