Wednesday, October 24, 2018

What a dog can teach us

We recently said "goodbye" to our cat, Tiddy. We joked that he had dog-like qualities.  He followed me around from the time I got home from work until the time we went to bed.  I didn't see him in the morning - he liked to "sleep in."

With retirement nearer than it has ever been I'm thinking about what I'd like to do for my "third career." The man I consider my mentor from Concordia Seminary, Glenn Nielsen, has a Golden Retriever who has been trained to be a "comfort dog."  These dogs often go to hospitals and nursing homes or wherever disaster or heartache has taken place.  Comfort dogs offer unconditional love and usually help the hurting by their gentle nature and willingness to be loved on.

I'm not sure when I'll put this plan in place.  I don't think it would be fair to get a dog while I'm still working full time.  But, if the opportunity to have a dog arose soon I don't think I could pass it up.  So, we'll see.

Robert Benchley is a humorist and has had things to say about dogs.  I particularly liked this observation: A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.