Monday, July 13, 2020

Books on the bed stand

Presently I'm reading three books.  The first is "Paul Simon - The Life," by Robert Hilburn.  Many people know Simon from his collaboration with Art Garfunkel.  Their voices blended beautifully on "Bridge over Troubled Waters," "The Boxer," "Mrs. Robinson," and "The Sounds of Silence."  I'm about one-half through the book and I'm finding that Simon is dealing with a question that many of us wrestle with - "My life is going great.  Why do I feel so bad?" Hilburn wrote the biography on Johnny Cash and that motivated me to pick up the Paul Simon book.

For Father's Day my dear, sweet wife bought for me, "Lou Gehrig - The Lost Memoir."  Probably most people know this great athlete's name is connected to the disease, ALS.  He was also one of the greatest players Major League Baseball has ever seen.  In his career, cut short by the disease, Gehrig hit almost 500 homeruns while hitting 340.  The first part of the book is a series of articles written for nationwide newspapers.  The second half, which I haven't gotten to yet, is an essay by author Alan D. Gaff about Gehrig's life.  This has been "a hard-to-put-down" kind of book.

Finally, I just started reading Ray Comfort's new book, "Any One But Me."  Comfort, an experienced apologist and popular speaker, reveals his own fears as he sought to share the Gospel with strangers.  But through the Holy Spirit and consistent practice, Comfort gained the boldness to tell someone he'd never known about Jesus Christ.  If you're one who would like to better witness Jesus to others, check out "Any One But Me."

My goal is to read at least 24 books a year.  I usually end up having read 32 to 34 books.  This year, I have been so busy dealing with the impact of the coronavirus on our church, I've had less time than usual to read.  But I'm sure I'll reach my goal.  There are too many good books to read.