Friday, August 20, 2021

All I Needed To Know I Learned in Sunday School

Robert Fulghum is an artist, painter, sculptor, author, musician and singer.  But he is best known for his 1986 book, "All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."  The book stayed on the New York Times bestseller list for over two years and remains a popular book to this day.  What Fulghum learned as a five-year-old struck a chord with readers.  Remember what we learned in kindergarten? 

Lessons like:

Play fair.

 Don't hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

 Wash your hands before you eat.

(my favorite) Take a nap every afternoon.

I remember enjoying Fulghum's book and it brought back reminders of my kindergarten experience.  But some of the best memories and best lessons I ever learned from came from my time in Sunday school.  So, with apologies to Fulghum, here's "All I Needed to Know I Learned in Sunday School" by George Spicer.

Love one another.

 "Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest..."

Turn the other cheek

 "Our Father, who art in heaven..."

Jesus can do a lot with five bread loaves and two fish

 (my favorite) "Jesus loves me, this I know..."

Of course, that's not all I learned in Sunday school.  I loved learning the creation story and how God made everything.  I sat spellbound as I was taught about Adam and Eve and about Noah and the Ark and the great flood.  I felt like I really knew Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and especially Joseph and his coat of many colors and his rotten brothers.  I cheered when David dropped Goliath in his tracks.  I marveled at the wisdom of Solomon.  And best of all, I never tired of learning about Jesus (my favorite!).  Those were great days.

As parents and grandparents, we want our kids and grandkids to have a solid Biblical foundation.  What they learn as children will go with them throughout their entire lives.  Sunday school gets its start this weekend at our church.  Be sure to support the Sunday school at your church.  Make sure your kids and grandkids are plugged in.  Show them that God's Word is important to you by giving the Lord two hours of your time each Sunday for worship and study.  It's amazing what you will learn!