Thursday, August 12, 2021

You did good, God!

My dear, sweet wife and I have become big fans of the Hallmark Channel series, "When Calls the Heart."  The series is somewhat based on the books of Janette Oke and focuses on a school teacher and the community she lives in which is located in the northern Canadian frontier. 

I had read that the tv series deviated quite a bit from Oke's books so I decided to take a look for myself.  I just finished reading the first novel and it was one of those "can't put it down" kind of books.

Oke is a wonderful, descriptive writer who transports you into the school teacher, Elizabeth's life.  Elizabeth is sent to the middle of nowhere to teach a community of children.  This "city girl" is determined to adapt to her new lifestyle.  She learns not to fear coyotes or give the mice the upper hand in her home.  Elizabeth also falls in love - with the children she teaches and a certain Mountie where love is truly at first sight.

One of the boys Elizabeth teaches is named Andy.  He is cheerful and well loved by his class.  But he is sickly and suffers from a brain tumor.  The children and community raise the money needs so that Andy can undergo surgery but the young lad does not survive.  

Later, the community comes together for a Memorial Service for Andy.  As they walk out to the cemetery, Elizabeth is overcome with emotion.  And this is how Oke describes what Elizabeth is feeling:

I cried then, the great sobs shaking my whole body.  I remembered the last time that I had wept, and how the little boy in my embrace had reached up awkwardly, and yet tenderly, to brush away my tears.  "You did good, teacher," he had whispered.  And now that small boy had passed beyond - so young to journey on alone.  But then I remembered that he hadn't traveled alone - not one step of the way, for as soon as the loving hands released him here, another Hand had reached out to gently take him.  I tried to visualize him entering that new Land, the excitement and eagerness shining forth on his face, the cheers raising from the shrill little voice.  There would be no pain twisting his face now, no need to hold his head and rock back and forth.  Joy and happiness would surround him.  I could almost hear his words as he looked at the glories of heaven and gave the Father his jubilant ovation - "You did good, God; You did real good!"

I loved her reference to Psalm 23:4 and her description of how God makes all things new for those who enter His kingdom.  Andy would no longer struggle or suffer with his health.  Instead, he would have all eternity to marvel at the goodness of a loving God who keeps His promise that all who believe in Jesus will not perish but have eternal life.  And that is our hope too.