Friday, February 24, 2023

Jake - the Coyote's worst nightmare


We live in west Peoria.  Even though we're in the city our neighborhood has coyotes.  Once I wondered why the coyotes were still in the area.  One of my neighbors answered, "They were here first.  That's why."

After a good night's sleep, we let our dog, Jake, out so he can take care of business, if you know what I mean.  He no more than took a few steps out onto the porch when he stopped and stood very still.  He was in attack mode. I thought he'd seen a rabbit.  Jake likes chasing after them, I imagine, with the hope that some day he'll catch one (fat chance!).

I looked over and I didn't see a rabbit.  It was a coyote and a good sized one at that.  Before I could grab Jake and get him back in the house, he was off after the coyote.

I kept calling, "Jake! Come!" But he ignored me.  Fortunately, the coyote wanted no part of Jake.  Quickly it jumped over our four foot backyard fence.  If Jake were just a little bigger, I'm sure he would have jumped the fence as well.  Instead, all he could do is bark.  I can't really interpret what a dog's bark means but I'm fairly certain that Jake was saying something like, "Don't come into my backyard again.  No! No! No! I'm big and ferocious and I will make your life miserable.  No! No! No!"

Soon the excitement was over and we managed to get Jake back in the house.  We gave him several treats and commended him for his bravery.  

Jake is now taking one of his many naps.  I wonder if he'll dream about how he chased a whole pack of coyotes off our property with just a single ferocious bark?