Friday, February 10, 2023

It's the Super Bowl!


Each Super Bowl Sunday I would ask the congregation about the game.  It went go something like this:

"Who wants the Eagles to win?" Light smattering of applause.

"Who wants the Chiefs to win?" Light smattering of applause.

"Who cares who wins the Super Bowl?" Strong applause.

What I will look for on Sunday?

    A good close game.  Nothing is more boring than watching one team blow the other off the field.  However, I am reminded that a few years ago Atlanta had a comfortable 28-3 lead and ending up losing to Tom Brady and the Patriots.  Maybe I won't be so quick to switch the channel to "Funniest Home Videos" or something like that.

    The commercials.  At the end of the game my family and I vote on the best and worst commercial. It's amazing how much we disagree with each other.  Who will be the best this year? Budwiser or Taco Bell or something else?

What I won't look for on Sunday?

    The halftime show.  These become more loud and garish every year and last year's show was definitely X-rated.  My grandkids will not be watching at halftime!

What I have noticed is that Super Bowl Sunday has almost become a national holiday.  It's an excuse for getting together with family and friends.  That works for me and is really more important than the game itself.

Except if our Arizona Cardinals could ever get to the Super Bowl.  Then it's "Don't bother me! The game is on!"

I can only hope.