Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Going All In with Professor Grant Horner

Who is Grant Horner? I didn't know who he was until the other day when I was reading Tim Challies' blog.  Horner is a fellow who has developed a Bible reading system that, when used faithfully, will lead you to read 3650 chapters of the Bible over the next year. 

It's a pretty ambitious program.  You read 10 chapters from the Bible every day.  These chapters are taken from 10 lists that have been devised by Horner.  I liked how he broke down the 10 lists.  In a given day a person would read five chapters from the Old Testament and five from the New Testament.  I like the balance such a schedule provides.

According to what I've read, reading the 10 chapters takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour a day.  At first I wondered where I would find an extra hour in my day to do this kind of reading.  The truth is that I have a least an hour that I can devote to this.  I can do some reading in the morning during my devotion and prayer time; I can read more while eating my lunch (which I do most of the time in the office); and I can finish up by leaving the TV off and spending that time listening to the Lord.

I read the Bible every day.  But usually it is in conjunction with preparing sermons, Bible classes, and other such tasks.  I need to spend more time in God's Word for myself.  I want the Lord's voice to be the loudest I hear as I live from day to day.  His Holy Spirit works through means - like the Scriptures - to keep strengthening faith and forming us into faithful disciples.  I want the Spirit to be doing this work in my life.

What are you doing for your Bible reading and devotion time? You can check out Horner's Bible reading system by going to www.challies.com and look for the blog entry for Dec. 27.  Once you get there, read the articles and look for the tabs that will lead you to Horner's material.  Jan. 1 is just a few days away.  If you're going to make just one resolution for the New Year, resolve to spend more time in 2012 reading God's Word.  It will be the best resolution you've ever made!