Friday, March 30, 2012

I buy books!

The quote is attributed to Erasmus: Whenever I get a little money, I buy books.  And if there's any left over, then I buy food and clothes.

One of my seminary profs was asked by his wife, "Just how many books do you need?" His answer: "Just one more!"

My love for reading began in childhood and there are few things more pleasurable for me than being able to get comfortable in my recliner and get into a good book.  This week I've purchased a couple of books for a worship class I'm teaching in April; an inspirational biography; something on the 1964 World Series (I was 12 but still remember the Cardinals & Yankees facing off and watching the games in the school classroom); three books about the Beatles that were missing from my library.

My kids have not embraced reading like I have.  My fear is that when I'm long gone they'll organize a yard sale and let my babies go for 25 cents to a buck a piece (Oh, the agony of it all!)

Still, I'm a blessed man.  My wife appreciates my joy for reading and patiently lets me indulge in my passion.  My biggest concern right now? When I retire, will she let me bring my babies home with me? Surely she wouldn't make me put them up for adoption, would she?