Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Money can't buy me love...or happiness

Need one more example? I was reading the latest edition of Sports Illustrated when I came upon a story about former Phillies and Mets outfielder, Lenny Dykstra.  It seems that post-retirement he became an entrepreneur of sorts and was very successful.  Then it seems that Dykstra got caught up in the lifestyle of the rich and famous and began shelling out enormous amounts of money for homes and cars and the like.  One telling paragraph read: "I said, OK, I know I'll be happy when I buy my own Gulfstream," says Dykstra, reflecting on the plane he purchased in 2007.  "But I got down to the end of the nose, I looked back and I said, OK, happy, come on, come on.  So it's not about the Gulfstream.  But it is about the Gulfstream.  Meaning it just wasn't as good a Gulfstream as I wanted."

Contrast that with the apostle Paul, who in writing to the Philippians had this to say: Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things who gives me strength.

How is it that Paul didn't become depressed when he had little? How did he keep from wanting to have more when he was well off? Paul had found the secret to satisfaction in his relationship with his Savior.  Knowing Christ and being known by the Lord had filled Paul's heart with a contentment and joy that he knew would never be his by having an abundance of earthly things.  Whether Paul had a lot or a little, he could live and worship and pray and serve because he could do all things through Christ who gave Him strength for living.

Satan, the world and our sinful flesh gang up on us at times and lead us to think like Lenny Dykstra and seek more stuff because, we are led to believe, that's where happiness and contentment is found.  Don't be fooled.  When we seek happiness in material things, we'll never be happy because there will always be one more thing that we need.  Instead, seek the "one thing needful" (Luke 10:42) - a living, growing relationship with Jesus Christ and find your happiness in the only Savior you'll ever need.