Thursday, April 9, 2015

Luke is in charge

This is my oldest grandson, Luke, showing off his haul of Easter egg candy.  We had almost all of our family with us on Easter, including Sherri's cousin, Betsy, and her family.

When it was time to eat, Sherri told me that we were ready to pray.  I joined everyone in our family room, fully expecting to lead our family in prayer.  After all, I'm a pastor.  I'm expected to pray at all occasions, whether it be something going on at church or in my home.

But I soon discovered that Luke was in charge.  He had everybody gather in a circle.  Then he confidently announced, "I'm going to pray."

And he did.  He thanked God for Easter and Jesus.  He thanked God for his family.  He asked God to bless our food and give us a good day.  And he concluded, "In Jesus' name.  Amen."

On an Easter day full of wonderful highlights and great blessings, Luke's might have been most meaningful to me.  To hear my grandson offer such a beautiful prayer on the day of our Lord's resurrection is something I'll not soon forget.

Luke keeps telling me he wants to be a pastor and spread the love of Jesus around the world.  Not bad for a six year old.  Not bad at all.