Friday, October 13, 2017

Books on the night stand

In case you're interested, here's what I'm reading right now...

'Reading People" by Anne Bogel.  This is a book that was sent to me from Baker Books for review.  I did not know of Anne Bogel but I'm really enjoying her writing style and learning from her new book.  "Reading People" takes a look at the various resources available today that can help each of us understand ourselves and also better understand the people around us.  Have you ever wondered why you are "you?" This book can help.

"Beatlemania! The Real Story of the Beatles UK Tours 1963-65" by Martin Creasy.  This is a well researched book that tell the story of how Beatlemania descended on the UK and ultimately upon the USA and the rest of the world.  You'll read of how the Beatles started at the bottom of the concert bill and in short order became the headliners.  Creasy offers a different perspective on Beatlemania that is refreshing.

"Rave On, The Biography of Buddy Holly" by Philip Norman.  Norman has written biographies on John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Elton John and the Rolling Stones, just to name a few.  This bio was penned in 1996.  It is well researched and shows Norman's passion for the young guitar player with the black horn-rimmed glasses from Abilene Texas.  As you read you begin to understand why singer Don McLean called the day Buddy Holly died as "the day the music died."

Each year I set a goal to read 24 books.  So far I've polished off 30 books so I'm glad I've met my goal.  And I've got a good two and a half months to add to the list.  Gotta go! Time to read!