Saturday, October 14, 2017

The Quotable Luther

This month's Lutheran Witness is all about the 500th celebration of the Reformation.  There are also a number of articles about Martin Luther including one called "The Quotable Luther." Featured are a series of quotes which are attributed to the Great Reformer.  A number of them I'd never read.  Are you familiar with the following?

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world."

"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all, but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

"The law says 'do this' and it is never done. Grace says 'believe in this' and everything is already done."

And my favorite...

"Whoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!"

I'll drink to that! But right now I have to get back to my Guatemalan coffee!