Saturday, April 28, 2018

Things I did and did not like in Israel

In no particular order...

I did like floating in the Dead Sea.  It's the lowest place on earth and the water is 33 percent salt.  I was told that even I could float in the water and it was true!

I did not swallow any of the Dead Sea water.  We were all warned that if we managed to suck some of that water into our bellies, our bellies would not like it one bit!

I did like sailing on a wooden boat on the Sea of Galilee.  We all looked over the water and imagined Jesus calming the sea with just a couple of words or inviting Peter to come out and walk on the water.

I did not really care for the St. Peter's fish we ate at a restaurant later that day.  The fish comes out whole, complete with its beedy little eye staring at you. The white meat was very tender though.

I did like - really like - our guide, Yorum Black.  He was a former military officer who transitioned into leading groups throughout the Holy Land.  He enlightened us with his knowledge of the various sites we visited and he did so with humor and charm.

I did not like the pushy tourists we encountered during our trip.  The idea of being patient and waiting your turn just does not register with so many people.  There were times when it felt like we were in a scrum at a rugby match, with all the pushing and shoving we encountered.

Finally, I will like being back with my church family this weekend.  I'm preaching at all four services and am planing on sharing a little bit about our trip and some of the things we learned.  I promise I won't bore you by sharing, say, 400 pictures of the trip (that event will take place another day!).

So, join us this Saturday at 5 pm or Sunday at 8, 9:30 or 11 am as we worship our risen Savior.

Shalom!