Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Remembering Aunt Jeanie

My aunt Jeanie fell asleep in Jesus last evening.  She had undergone successful surgery on her shoulder.  But then there were complications and her condition worsened quite quickly. When asked how she felt, I understand that her answer was, "I'm ready to go home to see my mother and my sisters." God was merciful to her, answered her prayer and brought her home to rest.

She was the cool aunt.  Never raised her voice.  Never seemed to be in a bad mood.  Always had a smile for you.  With Aunt Jeanie you felt acceptance.  She was so nice you would do anything for her.

Yet, she was a strong lady.  Raised eight kids mostly on her own.  Never heard her complain. Somehow, she made it look easy, raising her gang of eight.  I know it wasn't easy. But she did it and those kids, my cousins, were fiercely loyal to their mom.

Aunt Jeanie was a child of God.  She was raised in the church and never left it. Her joy was to hear of God's love for her in Jesus Christ and to come to the altar to receive the Lord's Supper. A number of years ago my family and I were visiting her and her clan and on Sunday we all went to church together. As we stood waiting outside the entrance we suddenly heard this loud roar in the parking lot.  It was Aunt Jeanie, driving her sports car, sans muffler.  What an entrance.  She hopped out, adjusted her wig, and went in to worship. That's a memory I won't soon forget.

She was a faithful saint, a humble and sweet person.  Because of the promises we recite in the Creed - I believe in the resurrection of the dead and the life everlasting -  we have the certain hope of being reunited on that Last Day when Jesus comes to judge the living and the dead. Look for my aunt.  She won't need that wig.  But she will have that beautiful smile.