Friday, January 6, 2023

Jumping back on the bandwagon

 True confession - I have been a fair-weather fan of the Arizona Cardinals.

 I'm on their bandwagon when they're winning.  You can see me wearing my Cardinals hat and Cardinals T-shirt.  Looks like I'm all in.

 Not this season.  I have been dismayed watching as the Cardinals lose game after game.  I had been thinking that I'd find a new team to support.  The Cowboys? My sister is a die-hard fan.  The Packers? My good friend, Jerry, bleeds green and gold.

 But then I starting watching the documentary "Hard Knocks" which has been focusing on the Cardinals.  Cameras follow the team during practices and players at their homes.  The program ends with reporting on the game for that week, which has been loss after loss.

 Watching "Hard Knocks" has given me a different perspective on the team.  Even though they're losing the team is still playing hard.  The coach, which has come under heavy criticism, is at the stadium at 4 am and doesn't leave until the last person is gone at night.  I've watched some of the leaders of the team passionately implore the players to keep trying and not give up.  This behind-the-scenes look at the team has changed my attitude toward them.

 The Cardinals play their last game this Sunday against the 49ers.  They will probably lose.  This supposedly is good because the team will likely garner a high draft pick with another loss.  They can either choose a top college player or trade the pick to another team for a group of players to add to the roster.  Many are calling for a new general manager and head coach.  It remains to be seen how ownership will respond.

 In the meantime I'm going to unearth my Cardinals hat and buy a new shirt or hoodie.  I'll be in front of the TV cheering the team on as hard as I can.  As I said, they'll probably lose.  But winning or losing, the Cardinals are my team.