Saturday, October 26, 2019

"Jesus Skeptic" by John Dickerson

The sub-title reads, "A Journalist Explores the Credibility and Impact of Christianity.  I wondered if this were a warmed over version of "The Case for Christ."

I was pleasantly surprised.  John Dickerson's book seems to go one step beyond Lee Strobel's best seller.

In "Jesus Skeptic," Dickerson offers what he learned about Jesus, His person, His life, and His mission.  But Dickerson, in doing his investigation, became convinced that Jesus truly lived, truly was the Son of God, and was the answer to questions like "Who am I? Am I worth anything? Where do I find meaning and purpose for my life?"

Dickerson supplies evidence of the impact of the life of Jesus on such institutions like the university and the health care system.  He shows how scientists like Newton, Kepler and Pascal all were devout believers and it was their faith that informed their work.  And the final section was my favorite because it is all about Jesus.  Although believers will be encouraged by this book, it would best be put in the hands of those for whom it was intended - the searching but skeptical person who wants to know that their lives count for something.

Perhaps they'll find what they are looking for in "Jesus Skeptic."