Monday, October 21, 2019

Walking to Bethlehem

There are days when I leave church with an extra bounce in my step and an extra measure of joy in my heart.

Yesterday was one of those days.

We started the final phase of our year-long ministry effort, "Run the Race."  Interestingly, the focus is not on running but walking.  In our case, Life in Christ church is walking to Bethlehem.

As worshippers learned yesterday, the Walk focuses on physical fitness and spiritual fitness.  A person earns "miles" for the amount of exercise they get each week.  Additional miles are earned through spending time with the Lord in worship, Bible study, individual and family devotions and prayer.

My hope is that the Walk will encourage every participant to be more intentional about being active and also being in the Word of God.  As I type this I'm thinking of how I might add more exercise to my day (Jake, our dog, and I have already had a 30 minute walk).  And I have my Run the Race devotional sheet which lists today's Scripture reading and a prayer starter.  Can't miss that!

Why did I leave church yesterday feeling blessed and grateful?

Over 230 worshippers sign up to participate.  We made 300 packets total.  So, yesterday's response was exciting and encouraging.  With that kind of support we'll might make Bethlehem before Christmas Eve.  I wonder what side trips we can take so keep us moving while waiting to arrive at just the right time?

And I wonder what kind of good habits might be made for those who participate in the Walk? Will folks become more intentional about establishing a regular routine for exercise and taking care of their bodies? Will people make a regular appointment with God to hear Him speak to them in His Word and for them to speak back to Him in prayer?

May God bless our walkers and our effort until that daywalking , with eyes of faith, we look into the manger and see the Babe that changes lives forever.  Then it will be clear that our Walk to Bethlehem was worth it.