Friday, January 3, 2020

On the reading of many books

24.  37.

24 is the number of books I set out to read each year.  37 is the total number of books I polished off in 2019.

I do a lot of reading every week.  It's usually connected to preparing sermons, Bible studies, devotionals and stuff like that.  On top of all that I set a goal to read 24 books that are entertaining, of a specific interest of mine or increase knowledge in subjects that are of importance to me.

Last year I discovered author Daniel Silva.  He writes action-packed, espionage thrillers that are next to impossible to put down.  Silva's books, in some way, mirror events taking place in our world today.  He pulls the curtain back a little bit to give us an understanding of what spy craft is all about.  His title, "The Rembrandt Affair" is on my reading stack for 2020.

Being a crazed Beatles fan, I discovered an author who satisfies my appatite for insights on what made John, Paul, George and Ringo the best rock and roll band in the history of popular music (confident aren't I?).  Kenneth Womack is one of the top two or three authors who writes about the Beatles with authority.  This year I read three of his books - "Maximum Volume" and "Sound Pictures," two volumes on the life of music producer, George Martin and "Solid State," which tells how new recording equipment gave life to the Beatles final project, the great "Abbey Road."  I anxiously await more from Womack.

A couple of books made me laugh out loud.  Dave Berry's book, "Lessons from Lucy," offers sweet reflections on aging as gleaned from Berry's dog, Lucy.  Berry writes with his usual wit and humor but also provides encouragement for making the most of what some call, "The Golden Years."  Also, the folks from the satirical website, "The Babylon Bee," caused my side to split as I laughed my way through "How to Be a Perfect Christian."  They grill some sacred cows like praise music and those who play it, churches who have thrown out the Bible in order to concentrate on alleged church-growth methods, and a possible an entry or two about Joel Osteen (if you've read the Bee then shots at Osteen are no surprise).

I was blessed to read a couple of books by Concordia University Wisconsin prof, Dan Paavola - "Grace, Faith Scripture," & "Patience and Perfection;" Sarah Baughman's "A Flame in the Dark," a fictional piece set in the days of the Reformation; "Faith is For Weak People," by Ray Comfort. shows how to use Law and Gospel in speaking to people about Christ and faith and new life; Andrew Brunson's "God's Hostage," the story of how an innocent Christian pastor was used as a pawn by the Turkish government to gain leverage in American-Turkish relations.  A powerful and honest book of one man trying to rely on faith in God while facing the worst of circumstances.

At this time each year I wonder if my goal of 24 read books is too great to accomplish.  But I always exceed the goal.  What's exciting to me is that I have no real idea of what will end up getting read in 2020.  What I do know is that it is a joy to read a good book.  I hope you find one or two in the coming year too!