Wednesday, June 22, 2022

A story about brotherly love

 

A Story about Brotherly Love

            Have you ever lived in a home with a basement?

            We hadn’t until I moved my family back to the Midwest in 1988.  Our home there had a finished basement which included a master bedroom, play room, laundry room and a workout room with Jacuzzi.  We loved having the extra space, not to mention that the basement was the best place to hang out during a hot and humid Midwestern summer.

            When I took my first call to serve as pastor to a church outside of St. Louis, we found a nice home with a basement.  With the help of a couple of young carpenters, we finished off the basement and created a place where we could work, offer company a place to stay or just settle down in front of the TV for a nice, quiet evening.

            All was well and good until early one Sunday morning when our kids woke us with these words: “There’s water in the basement.” 

            It’s not much fun to have to drive over to your 24 hour superstore at 1 am to purchase a wet-vac.  That’s what we did and we managed to get the water all cleaned up, only to have the basement flood again…and again…and again.

            After consulting with several experts we bit the bullet, so to speak, and put in a sump pump.  To do this, we had to empty the basement of every piece of furniture.  This was a hard job and my son and I had to put in for an extra order of Ben-Gay when we were all finished.

            A few weeks later, the sump pump was installed and our carpeting was reinstalled.  My son and I decided that we would meet one afternoon at 4 pm to move all the furniture back down stairs.  But neither one of us looked forward to that job.  We hadn’t quite recovered from our last assignment.

            At about five minutes to four, the doorbell rang.  That seemed odd – my son would just come into the house.  I opened the door and four guys from church were standing there.  A couple of cars pulled up in front of the house and three more guys came walking across the lawn.  They said, “We’re here to help you move your stuff back downstairs.  Where do you want us to begin?”

            One of our members, a dear friend named Ellen, had somehow heard about our moving job.  She took pity on me and my son and started calling men in our church and asking them to come give us a hand.  With all the help we had, all our furniture and other stuff was moved back in the basement in less than an hour.  A job that my son and I were dreading was taken care of with ease.

            The apostle Paul commended the Thessalonians for the brotherly love they showed each other and their neighboring churches.  Their love for the Lord’s forgiveness and salvation moved them to extend that love to their friends and neighbors.

            My son and I were on the receiving end of such brotherly love and we’ve never forgotten it.  So now I ask you to think about it – to whom can you show such love? Your next-door neighbor? A friend at work? Someone at church? In the words of the folks at Nike – just do it! Show some brotherly love today.