Tuesday, January 3, 2023

A break from social media

 Consider these words from author Reed Lessing: When Richard Nixon was president, social experts predicted that by the twenty-first century, American would work in the morning and have the rest of the day off.  What happened? Let me answer that with some Q&A.

 How much time does the average American spend on social media every year? That would be 912 hours or about thirty-eight days and nights.  What about television? That would be roughly 1460 hours, or roughly sixty days and nights.  And what is the constant message on social media and television? Be kind to your neighbor? Forgive those who wrong you? Be content with what you have? The message is singular.  When in Egypt, do as the Egyptians do.  Live by these watchwords: more, mine and hurry up.

 In the first chapter of his book, "Deliver Me," Lessing describes how the Pharaohs of Egypt were focused on gathering as much as possible and they did this on the back of the children of Israel.  His point is that not much has changed.  We are a people who want the most and the best of everything.  And social media and television fuels that desire.

 I spent much time yesterday pondering Lessing's words and realized that they applied to me.  Like lots of folks I had gotten to checking social media sites constantly throughout the day.  I think the devil uses social media as a tool to take our minds off the most important things - our relationship with the Lord and with each other.

 So, last night I looked at my last Facebook and Instagram feeds.  Interestingly, I'm still going to use Twitter for my blog posts but except checking each morning for messages and feedback that's all the time I'm going to spend on social media. 

 What do I hope is the result of this exile from social media? An enriched time of devotion and prayer with God, more time spent just talking with my dear, sweet wife, checking in with family and friends, and more time spent reading or practicing the guitar.

 You might want to try this too.  Wouldn't it be great recapture some of the time that gets wasted with social media?