Monday, January 2, 2023

Books, books and more books

My goal each year is to read 24 books, basically finishing off a book within two weeks.  However, being retired, I reached my goal in July! So, needless to say, I demolished my goal and read some pretty good books in the process.

I discovered British author, Alex Gurlis.  He writes spy-espionage books mostly centered during the time of WWII.  He has a way of connecting you to the major characters to the point that when they find themselves in harms way, you become deeply concerned for their safety.  I read the four books that make up the Richard Prince series and have now started on a two book series.  If you are a fan of this genre, check out Gurlis.

Michael Connelly has also become a favorite author.  He writes the Harry Bosch series of books and the Lincoln Lawyer books as well.  I like the Lincoln Lawyer series especially because the stories are written in the first person.  It's as if you are following Mickey Haller around as he defends his clients and solves mysteries in the process.

I've started out 2023 by reading Reed Lessing's "Deliver Us - God's Rescue Story in Exodus."  Lessing is an engaging writer who draws connection with Exodus with other Biblical texts.  I started digging into the book yesterday and I can't wait for a little quiet time to dig back into what looks to be an interesting and informative book.

Here's to reading good books in 2023!