Friday, March 3, 2023

My afternoon with my grandson

Yesterday, my son and daughter in law were in a pickle.  Both had important meetings at work so they needed someone to pick up their son, my grandson, Will.

I volunteered to do so but I was a little nervous.  What if I get stuck in traffic and show up late? What if I get in the wrong pickup lane.  I hear Moms are pretty serious about following proper pickup procedures.

I asked my son for some instructions about doing the pickup properly and he responded with clear instructions.  

Here's one - At 2:40 they will allow the line you are in to enter the pick up lane.  Follow the car in front of you.  I guess he didn't want me cutting in and out of traffic.

Here's another - the pickup lane winds behind the school.  It's similar to picking up someone at the airport curb.  I thought, "That's great!" That airport pickup is very stressful for me, finding the pickup, getting close to the curb, having the roving policeman yelling at you, "You can't park here! Move along!"

Fortunately I got there in plenty of time to get in the first line. I got in the proper line.  I moved along slowly but surely until I got to the gate where Will was waiting for me.

He told me about his day at school and he wanted to know about mine (his was much more interesting).  We stopped at Wendy's for an ice cream and then headed home.  Will is all about cars these days so we made plans to go to an auto museum in a couple of weeks.  He also showed me some car racing games he had on his iPad.  His instructions were very good but I couldn't get the hang of keeping the car on the raceway.  Finally, Will said, "Poppa, just watch me."

His Mom arrived in the evening and I made my way back home.  But I felt it was a pretty successful afternoon.  I picked up my grandson just as I was supposed to.  We had a great time together.  Except for the car racing game, the day was perfect.  

I hope your day and weekend goes perfectly too.  Have a great weekend!