Monday, May 30, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made!

Continuing our visitation of churches in the Valley of the Sun, my dear, sweet wife and I traveled downtown to worship at St. Mary's Basilica.  From various sources I gathered that the music ministry of the church was amazing and we were not disappointed.  The mood of the service was holy, reverent and joyous.  The organist was fantastic.  The cantor and choir were outstanding.  In many ways, this was a service of praise but without what most folks feel is required - some kind of a praise band with guitarists, drummers and vocalists.  Interestingly, songs and hymns were in three different languages - English, Spanish and Latin.  The message was brief and focused on Jesus' promise to the disciples of the "Comforter" - the Holy Spirit.  Unfortunately, we missed hearing the Gospel.  In the explanation to the Second Article, Luther wrote: I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ or come to Him.  But the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and keeps me in the true faith."  The Holy Spirit is God's gift to the church, to you and me.  The Spirit abides with us, and not just for a few moments or for an hour or two each day.  Jesus says the Spirit with with us always - always teaching, always sanctifying, always strengthening.  The Gospel is good news and it is always a disappointment when the good news isn't proclaimed to hungry or hurting hearts.

After the service Sherri and I went over to the Arizona Science Center to see the Body Works exhibit.  We spent an hour and a half there and during that time there was one Bible verse that kept running through our heads: I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well."  (Psalm 139:14).  In fact, it was hard to walk through the exhibit, see this magnificent creation called the human body and somehow believe that man was made through a "big bang" or evolutionary accident of some kind.  The human body is too amazing to have somehow randomly evolved to what we are today.  Read Psalm 139 this week and then stop and give praise to the creative God who has given you life.