Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cross that one off the Bucket List!

Last Sunday my dear, sweet wife, Sherri and I and our friends, Dan and Janelle, went to Wrigley Field in Chicago to see the Cubs play the Florida Marlins.  There are two ballparks I've always wanted to visit - Fenway Park in Boston and Wrigley Field.  Saw Fenway last year and that was a great experience.  And I must give kudos to Sherri - I don't think walking around old ballparks is her idea of fun.  But she likes a new experience too and as long as I don't suggest a tour of every major league ballpark, I think Sherri is OK with all of this. 

Wrigley Field doesn't have all of the modern conveniences of today's newer stadiums.  But it has a charm and character that you don't get in the new stadiums either.  Dan and I walked around the stadium and were amazed by how many seats are so close to the action.  The ivy on the outfield walls was in full bloom and we could see how you really could lose a baseball among the leaves and vines.  And we saw how the apartment buildings beyond the right and left field stands have set up bleachers on the roofs.  Pretty cool indeed!

As you might have read, the midwest is in the midst of a heat wave and the only negative to our visit to Wrigley was the combination of heat and humidity (95 degrees and at least 70 percent humidity).  Even though our seats were in the shade, we still boiled pretty good.  Still, that didn't spoil our visit to one of baseball's most amazing ballparks.