Thursday, July 28, 2011

John Stott and All Souls Church

Relaxing and having fun with my kids and grandkids on this last week of renewal.  Learned this afternoon that John Stott, a truly great theologian and author, rests in Jesus.  He was 90 years old.

I first learned of Stott while studying at Concordia Seminary.  Professors encouraged us to read Stott with care but, by all means, read Stott.  I picked up his book on preaching.  I collected several of his commentaries.  Although there were doctrinal issues to quibble about, I appreciated the fact that Stott always had Jesus at the center of his writings.  Stott was unashamed in his proclamation of the Savior.  He did not "water down" his teaching to make it more popular with today's post-Christian culture.

In 2004 we had the opportunity to travel to London for 10 days.  A member of the church I was serving at the time owned a flat and offered it to me and my dear, sweet wife.  However, there was a condition - we had to worship at the church he attended when he lived in London - All Souls Church.  That was where John Stott pastored for years.  I easily accepted his condition and  hoped that I might even hear Stott preach while visiting.

As it turned out, Stott preached at the Sunday evening service we attended.  A member at All Souls told Sherri and me that we were very fortunate because at his age - then 83 - Stott didn't do much preaching.  We were blessed by his simple message.  In fact, he didn't say anything that we didn't already know.  But in his grandfatherly way, Stott encouraged us mightily.  We left the service that night strenghten by the Word of God he proclaimed to us.

The internet is full of tributes to John Stott.  I've read that he was a very humble man, not one to toot his own horn about his ministry, the people he met and ministered to or the many awards he received from his writings.  He'd probably be embarrassed by all the fuss about his life and ministry.  Praise the Lord for giving His church men like John Stott who keep us focused on Christ alone.