Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Man Called Peter

In my opinion, Peter Marshall, the Scottish-born Presbyterian pastor, who in 1947 became chaplain of the US Senate, was one of the finest preachers of the 20th century.  See the book, "A Man Called Peter" for examples of his inspiring and thought-provoking style.  He also wrote many wonderful and heart-felt prayers.  The following is a prayer of confession that you might want to use in your devotions this week.

O Lord, I come to You out of my great need.  You have pledged in Your Word that whoever comes to You shall not be cast away.

Lord, I confess before you that I have had longings and nudgings from You which I did not translate into action.

I have made decisions without consulting You, then blamed You when things went wrong.

I have said that I trusted You, yet have not turned my affairs over to You.

I have often sought the easy way, have consistently drawn back from the road that is hard.

Forgive me for all the intentions that were born and somehow never lived.

These, Lord Jesus, are sins, grievous in Your sight, grievous even in mine.  And now I claim Your promise to change me.  Do for me what I cannot do for myself.  Lead me into a new tomorrow with a new spirit.  Cleanse my heart, create within me new attitudes and new ideas, as only You can create them.

For these good gifts, I thank You Lord.  Amen.