Monday, January 9, 2012

Be Like Tim!

Remember the Gatorade TV commercials from a few years ago.  The overarching message was a simple one - be like Mike (as in Michael Jordan).  I know the spots were effective - my young son, Eric, got the fever and wanted to be like Mike - make the game winning shot, dunk from the free throw line and, oh yeah, drink lots and lots of Gatorade.

Me? I'd rather be like Tim - Tim Tebow, that is.

Full disclosure - I jumped on the Tebow bandwagon years ago, specifically his junior year at Florida.  He led his team to a national championship and won the Heisman Award for best college football player.

But I admired him much more for his confession of Christ Jesus as His Savior from sin and death.

He did not have the same success in his senior year of college.  His pro career, not withstanding the past 10 weeks or so, has been full of ups and downs.

But he has not wavered in give praise and credit to God for the success he has had in life.,

I watched the post game coverage of the Broncos/Steelers game endlessly last night.  Time and time again, Tebow gave thanksgiving for his relationship with his Lord and Savior. 

I know lots of folks are put off by Tebow constantly invoking the name of the Lord.  I find it refreshing.

Why shouldn't we as Christians give credit where credit is due? I don't hear Tebow implying that he is somehow better than most because he is a disciple of Jesus.  I've never heard him say that the Broncos are God's team and that all the other NFL teams are second class.

That's what non-believers and opponents of the Christian faith want people to believe.

In Tebow I see a guy who genuinely loves His relationship with God through Christ and isn't ashamed to confess his faith.  Reminds me of another guy who took a lot of flack for his faith in the Lord (see Romans 1:16).

I honestly didn't believe that the Broncos had a chance against the Steelers.  I don't think they can beat New England on Tom Brady's home turf. 

It won't matter one way or the other.  I admire people who aren't afraid to tell others about Jesus Christ.

I want to be like Tim.