Monday, January 16, 2012

My 2012 New Year's Resolution

Last Sunday during the sermon I shared with our congregation my 2012 New Year's Resolution.  It was inspired by the Old Testament lesson - 1 Samuel 3:1-10.  Samuel is being called by God to be a prophet.  When Samuel finally learns that it it the voice of God that is continually waking him up during the middle of the night, he responds by saying, "Speak, your servant is listening."

I suggested that since God speaks to us today through His Word, the Bible, we might want to pray at every worship service, Bible study class, small group Bible study and during our personal devotional time, "Speak, O Lord, for your servant is listening."  How pleased God will be to know that He has our undivided attention and that we are ready to hear His Word and put it into practice.  (See Luke 11:28).

So how about it? Ready to make a New Year's Resolution worth keeping? Join me in praying, "I'm listening, Lord, I'm listening."