Monday, February 25, 2013

All this church wants is my money...NOT!

It's a refrain that has been heard through the church ever since there has been a church: all this church is interested in is my money! I don't doubt that there are some churches whose main concern is the almighty dollar.  But that's not the case with many churches and is certainly not the case at the church where I serve.  Not too long ago I came across the following from the great C.S. Lewis.  Read carefully:

The Christian way is different: harder and easier.  Christ says, "Give me all (of you).  I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work - I want you.  No half-measures are any good.  I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree..."

The Lord doesn't want only your money.  That would be too easy.  You could write a check, make a big contribution to the church and be on your way.  No, the Lord wants you! And it's only right that He should feel that way.

Who suffered the punishment for your sins? Who humbled Himself so that you might be saved? Who has removed the shame of your sin and the fear of your death? Who has prepared a place for you in heaven? You know the answer - Jesus!

Jesus wants your heart and your head, your time and attention, your worship and your praise.  When He has you in that way, supporting the ministry of the church will never be a problem...ever.