Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Still trying to write a Nielsen sermon

Last Sunday I had the great pleasure of seeing my favorite seminary professor, Rev. Dr. Glenn Nielsen.  He was in the Valley to check on a couple of vicars he is supervising and he and his wife, Sue, who came along, decided to spend a few extra days soaking up our sunny weather.  They joined us for worship on Sunday and then my dear, sweet wife and I got to take the Nielsens out to lunch.

I was first year seminarian when I took my first Homiletics class.  Glenn was the instructor.  I didn't know him well at all but his class fit well into my schedule.  Mostly I was just excited to finally take a class in which I would learn how to be a preacher.

We seminarians had lots of questions.  Glenn was ready for every one of them.  We would ask how to preach on a certain text or how to find the gospel in a law passage or how to use an illustration.  Glenn would listen, think for a moment, and they give the answer by composing a sermon (or part of one) on the spot.  How could he do such a thing! His ability and his gift just amazed me.

I also loved how all his sermons pointed to Jesus.  Now, you would think this would be a no-brainer.  But it's amazing how often preacher don't preach about Jesus - His forgiveness, salvation and love.  Jesus was front and center in Glenn's sermon.  Jesus predominated any preaching of the law.  This preaching gave me joy and something to aspire to.

I was ordained in 1997 and for all this time I been trying to write a Nielsen sermon.  I'm still working at it.  But is was sure good to be able to spend a little time with the man who inspires me to this day.  And I've got to write two more sermons this week.  Two more opportunities to point people to Jesus and His wondrous love.  Can't wait to get started!